Thursday, 25 September 2014

pretty puppets!

Hey folks, Kyle here, this week i'm going to show you some making of images for three new sailor puppets i'm in the middle of building.

Above from left to right
Friendly plastic, nut and bolt tie downs, black armature wire, thinner wire for fingers
I started by sketching out the characters bodies.
Then, using twisted black wire i created two legs. I then used friendly plastic to create the leg bones.

Next i created the characters feet by making a loop at the bottom of each leg with the ends of the wire.
I then embedded a small nut into the bottom of the each foot and then covered each one with friendly plastic.
The nuts embedded into the feet are there so that the characters can be screwed into the sets to keep them standing and walking through animation.
I created the arms in much the same way.
The fingers were created using thinner wire and more friendly plastic.
Once attached to one another i had created my three armatures
My next task was to bulk out the puppets, first i used small pieces of furniture foam to build up the muscles and body of the characters.
The foam was attached using a high strength spray cement.
Over the furniture foam i then attached thinner foam to the body to make the characters look
smoother with a more finished look.
Above is a puppet whose body has been foamed and is ready for skin and/or clothes
The fingers were padded out using a soft string covered in a very thin layer of latex
A hand covered in latex and starting to be painted
Any parts of the puppet that will show skin (parts that wont be covered by the clothes) need to be covered in latex and painted up to look smooth
That's all for this week, i'll leave you with a nice picture of our hero looking as happy as ever:
More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment